The Botanic Gardens are situated behind the castle, comprising several hectares of plants and lawns, a walled garden of 1.6 hectares and seven glasshouses, including a Victorian period conservatory. Open May to September the Gardens, as we know them to day cover an area of about twenty acres and were largely created between 1942 and 1973 by Lord Milo. In all, there are in excess of 5,000 different species and varieties of plants present. The present day Garden is, in effect, a small botanic garden. Many plants from the southern hemisphere, notably Chile and Australia, are featured. When a bushfire wiped out all traces of a particular plant in Tasmania, Lord Talbot came to the rescue and gave back to Tasmania plants raised from seed which he had collected in 1964.